Friday, July 21, 2017

Squid Mixes: Old Pal Cocktail

The Old Pal Cocktail, according to The New York Bartender's Guide recipe I used, combines rye whiskey, Campari and sweet vermouth.  Apparently other versions use dry vermouth instead.  I have no idea who the "old pal" is but the drink first appeared ABC of Mixing Cocktails, a 1922 book written by Harry MacElhone.

To me, the flavor resembles that of a cranberry.  The Campari brings the bitter (and the color), the vermouth the sweet and the whiskey the warmth.  My wife enjoyed it so we may try this one again.  Maybe I'll try with dry vermouth next time.

10 comments:

  1. What I realize every time you post one of these is that I don't have much experience with or knowledge of harder alcohols.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's great fun to learn about. In fact, I'd say I enjoy mixing liquors and learning about them more than I do drinking them. I'll still take a good beer first.

      Delete
  2. Maybe this was the precursor to the Cosmo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cosmopolitan does seem to be a more recent drink, though it's more likely it derives from the Cape Codder, a highball combination of cranberry and vodka.

      Delete
  3. I bought a book on summer cocktails but holy cow all that liquor can be expensive! I forget what I made but I didn't like it much *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can get expensive, though if you figure how much you use for each drink, one can just as easily spend as much on beer or, even more easily, wine. The stuff will also keep - alcohol is an outstanding preservative.

      Even so, buying wisely is important. Michael Dietsch has an excellent series of articles on SeriousEats.com on various budget liquors.

      Delete
  4. Here's to the success of our galactic interstellar witticisms so lets raise our glasses, Cheers! heavy slurps. New Yorkers Pal Cocktail clinks against Douglas Adams Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster sparks fly across the universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for the Douglas Adams reference - always appreciated here!

      Delete
  5. This sounds quite tasty. I would be curious to hear about the difference with sweet vs dry vermouth. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious, too. If I try it, I will report back.

      Delete