Friday, July 14, 2017

Squid Mixes: Campari Soda

Campari is a deceptive little liqueur.  The bright red fools one into thinking the flavor would be sweet like grenadine.  Instead, it is intensely bitter.  One of the primary ingredients is chinotto, a citrus fruit native to the Mediterranean region.  As with Campari, it looks like a sweet orange but the truth is otherwise.  The liqueur also includes cascarilla, a Caribbean herb employed as a tonic and used in Vermouth.

The bright red color is produced artificially.  Until 2006, carmine, a dye made from crushed insects, was used.  Now, the dye is synthetic.

My wife is a Campari fan.  She especially likes Negronis.  The Campari soda made for a fine summer drink and was awfully pretty.  It looked especially nice in our cobalt blue glasses but alas, that was more difficult to capture photographically.  My recipe comes from The New York Bartender's Guide.

14 comments:

  1. I don't think that sounds like something I would like, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's fair to say that Campari is an acquired taste.

      Delete
  2. Is a Capari soda sweetened at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is not but add sweet vermouth to the mix and you have an Americano.

      Delete
  3. I wish more people knew fun drink! I've never had it but it's nice to hear more about it in case someone offers me one. I heard Negroni's "particularly well-suited to springtime imbibing" so no wonder she likes it.! What a great insight, and you have yourself a most excellent one Armchair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maurice! It's always great to hear from you.

      Delete
  4. I've never had Campari. If it's bitter, then what makes it yummy?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not a coffee drinker, are you?

      I will admit, the bitter takes some getting used to. I doubt I would play around with Campari much myself if my wife weren't a fan. But a big part of what is so interesting to me about cocktails is experimenting with flavor on a basic level. For next week, I will be looking at a drink that tastes quite a lot like a cranberry, even though it doesn't involve any cranberries in the recipe.

      Delete
    2. You're right. I don't like coffee.

      Delete
    3. Probably iffy on hoppier beers, too?

      Delete
  5. The few times I could drink I loved Campari. Especially with the little cheese crackers I use to make. About 100 years ago.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like something my husband would like. He doesn't like sweet drinks.

    ReplyDelete