Friday, February 24, 2017

Cephalopod Coffeehouse: February 2017

Welcome one and all to the Cephalopod Coffeehouse, a cozy gathering of book lovers, meeting to discuss their thoughts regarding the works they enjoyed most over the previous month.  Pull up a chair, order your cappuccino and join in the fun.  If you wish to add your own review to the conversation, please sign on to the link list at the end of my post.

Title: Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka
Author: L. Neil Smith
via Wookieepedia
This is the third and last of The Lando Calrissian Adventures, first published in 1983 after the theatrical release of Return of the Jedi.  As I've written in my previous posts about this trilogy, these books by L. Neil Smith don't really offer much in the way of character development for Lando but they are reasonably fun in their own right.

Starcave, in particular, plays with a highly intriguing science fiction concept: the possibility of life - intelligent life, even - thriving in the vacuum of deep space.  Lando and Vuffi Raa, his droid sidekick, befriend the Oswaft: enormous, space-dwelling sting ray beings.  Unfortunately for the Oswaft, Lando and Vuffi Raa have enemies and their association has put the Oswaft in danger as well.

While there are gambling tales in each of the three books, I'd have loved it if that aspect of Lando had been more of the focus: The Sting or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels among the stars.  At the end of the story, Lando does come into enormous riches, suggesting a potential path towards the role we know he will have as administrator of Cloud City on Bespin.  Lando is a likeable character in the books, though lacking in dimension.  The Vuffi Raa story is actually more interesting and all of the questions surrounding him are answered in the third book.  Raa calls Lando "Master" throughout the books, much to the gambler's annoyance.  It is the trilogy's slightly annoying running gag but it actually turns out to have narrative relevance in the end.
Vuffi Raa Image via Wookieepedia
I doubt I'll pursue the Star Wars novels any further.  They're fun to a point but there are too many other good books I'd rather read.  I have learned this much in my exploration of science fiction over the past few years: Star Wars is best at the movie theater; Star Trek is best on television.  The other material for both is fun but it's not the main event.

Please join us and share your own review of your best read from the past month.  This month's link list is below.  I'll keep it open until the end of the day.  I'll post March's tomorrow.  Meetings are the last Friday of each month.  Next gathering is March 31st.


16 comments:

  1. I haven't read the books but have sat through many Star Wars/Star Trek episodes and films as hubby really likes them. I think the premise of the plots for both Star Wars and Star Trek are rather geared more to the visual/action types rather than depth of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say that's a fair assessment for the most part, though the later Star Trek series fared better along such lines.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read a single Star Wars book even though I'm a huge fan of the movies excepting those in which Jar Jar appear. And I love Star Trek in almost all its incarnations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can confidently say at this point that there isn't much reason to read the books beyond curiosity.

      Delete
  3. I occasionally get on a sci-fi kick, but it's been a while and I haven't read any of the Star Wars books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sci-fi books on my TBR shelf are Asimov at the moment. It may be a while before I get to them.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure I said before but I gave up on Star Wars novels a long time ago... in a galaxy far, far away.
    But I'm being intrigued by some of these highly entwined novels that they're doing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sort of gotten out of the comic book habit.

      Delete
  5. The best part of these novels is we get to know more about some person we liked.
    I think that is why I liked Rouge One so much. It told more of the story.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I like the idea of stand alone films being used to fill in the gaps.

      Delete
  6. Marvel had an excellent Lando mini-series that you should check out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can understand the burn-out factor. Sometimes when I follow a series I like it at first, but as the books and stories go on my interest falls off... Kinda sounds like that happened here.
    Still, it's been a great diversion!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Veronica :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always feared that the Star Wars books would make me not like Star Wars. I first experienced it as a visual medium so if it's not a movie or comic book, my heart just isn't in it. I'm glad you gave it a go and shared your experience.

    ReplyDelete